Economic life in Palestine before Nakba
Several international car agencies opened branches in Palestine, such as Mercedes Benz in 1933, when Gharghour family from Jaffa used to barter Mercedes cars from Germany with orange boxes,
that time it wasn't possible to exchange the German mark to the Palestinian Pound. For instance, a Mercedes -170 was worth 500 boxes of Jaffa oranges.
The above photo which was taken in 1929, shows the BUICK dealership which was owned by Spafford family, who moved from Chicago to Jerusalem in 1881.
Then the Palestinian Shukri Deeb became one of the distributors as well.